Making a planned gift offers the opportunity to give back to yourself, your family and your community. With planned giving, you can achieve personal and financial goals while leaving a legacy that will benefit all of Southwestern Indiana for generations to come. A planned gift is a gift of capital which is not usually made from your current income. Planned gifts can be given immediately (such as a gift of stock or real property), or deferred (such as a bequest or life insurance policy).
In 2012, from a generous gift from the Elna Ryals Trust, United Way of Southwestern Indiana created an Endowment. Annual earnings from the Endowment will be awarded to 501(c)(3) nonprofits that are working to move people to self-suffiency. In 2014, we awarded our first grant to HOPE of Evansville for their Hope House Program.
We would be happy to discuss your planned giving options. In addition, we strongly encourage you to contact your attorney or financial advisor to obtain information about how planned giving will affect your specific financial situation.
There are many ways to give a planned gift:
- Bequests through your will: Name United Way of Southwestern Indiana in your will in the form of a stated dollar amount, specific property or a percentage of your estate.
- Charitable Gift Annuities: Transfer assets to United Way of Southwestern Indiana, through a contractual agreement, in exchange for an annual premium paid to you by United Way.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: Place assets in a trust from which earnings are paid as income to you and your beneficiaries. Upon the death of the last beneficiary, the principal will be given to United Way of Southwestern Indiana.
- Charitable Lead Trusts: Place assets in a trust from which earnings flow to United Way of Southwestern Indiana for a stated number of years. After that period, the assets inside the trust will be distributed to your beneficiaries.
- Insurance Policies: Name United Way of Southwestern Indiana as the beneficiary of all or a portion of your life insurance.
- Retirement Plan Assets: Name United Way of Southwestern Indiana as the beneficiary of all or a portion of your retirement plans.
Thank you for considering a planned gift to United Way of Southwestern Indiana. For more information, e-mail Amy Canterbury or call her at 421-7480.