There are many ways to get involved with the United Way. Our volunteers are the heartbeat of our programs and help us reach those in need in our community. When you raise your hand as a United Way volunteer, we connect you with the nonprofit who needs your help. For a list of current volunteer opportunities, visit: https://unitedwayswi.galaxydigital.com/need/
Day of Caring & Spring Days of Caring
The United Way’s Day of Caring is an annual event occurring on Friday of the first full week in September. This year, more than 1,200 volunteers from Southwestern Indiana came together to serve nonprofits and agencies in our community.
Spring Days of Caring take place at the request of local nonprofits throughout the months of April, May, and June.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
VITA program volunteers help prepare tax returns for low to moderate income families. Training is provided; must have computer skills.
- Volunteers Needed: Greeters and Preparers
- Time Commitment: One time slot per week for five weeks during tax season
FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
FAFSA volunteers help families complete the necessary online form required to receive state and federal financial aid to attend secondary institutions. Training is provided; must have computer skills.
- Volunteers Needed: Preparers
- Time Commitment: Days, Evenings – November through March
Focus Area Volunteers
Focus area volunteers ensure that the United Way invests donations from the annual campaign into partner agency programs that align with our four focus areas of health, education, financial stability and essential services. As a Focus Area volunteer, you’ll meet several times, visit assigned agencies, and make investment recommendations based on available funds. Training is provided.
- Volunteers Needed: Focus Area Program Review Panelists; Focus Area Financial Reviewers
- Time Commitment: Days, January-April (estimated 15-20 hours)
Kindergarten Readiness Program
United Way believes that every child should begin school ready to learn. You will help prepare children with little or no preschool experience for their new roles as kindergartners. Children will learn to adjust to a classroom setting, practice following directions and rules, practice skills such as recognizing shapes, letters, counting and writing their names. Training is provided.
- Volunteer Need: Classroom Assistants
- Time Commitment: Month of June, 2017, 8:00 a.m. – 12:30.p.m.
- Must complete EVSC Volunteer Form and FBI Criminal History Background Check
Ready to get started? Complete the Volunteer Application.