There are many ways to get involved with United Way of Southwestern Indiana. Our volunteers are the heartbeat of our programs and help us reach those in need in our community. When you raise your hand as a United Way volunteer, we connect you with the nonprofit who needs your help. For a list of current volunteer opportunities, visit: https://unitedwayswi.galaxydigital.com/need/.
Day of Caring
United Way’s Day of Caring is an annual event occurring on a Friday in September where volunteers come together to serve nonprofit organizations in our community. In 2019, more than 1,200 volunteers from Southwestern Indiana participated in the 26th Annual Day of Caring.
Mark your calendars: The 27th Annual Day of Caring is scheduled for Friday, September 18, 2020.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
VITA volunteers help prepare tax returns for qualifying families and individuals. Volunteers receive free training to become IRS certified; and must have computer skills.
- Volunteers Needed: Greeters, Preparers, Site Coordinators, Story Tellers and Supply Clerks for VITA tax prep locations.
Volunteers also needed to prepare approximately 16 – 20 drop-off returns at the volunteer’s convenience.
- Time Commitment: Approximately 20 hours, plus training, during tax season (Jan. 29 – April 15, 2019). Volunteers can pick the location and dates that work best for them.
Focus Area Volunteers
Focus area volunteers ensure that the United Way invests donations from the annual campaign into partner agency programs that align with our four focus areas of health, education, financial stability and essential services. As a Focus Area volunteer, you’ll meet several times, visit assigned agencies, and make investment recommendations based on available funds. Training is provided.
- Volunteers Needed: Focus Area Program Review Panelists; Focus Area Financial Reviewers
- Time Commitment: Days, January-April (estimated 15-20 hours)
Kindergarten Readiness Program
United Way believes that every child should begin school ready to learn. You will help prepare children with little or no preschool experience for their new roles as kindergartners. Children will learn to adjust to a classroom setting, practice following directions and rules, practice skills such as recognizing shapes, letters, counting and writing their names. Training is provided.
- Volunteer Need: Classroom Assistants
- Time Commitment: Month of June, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:30.p.m.
- Must complete EVSC Volunteer Form and FBI Criminal History Background Check